Sister of NBA’s Kawhi Leonard Charged in Fatal Robbery of 84-Year-Old Woman

sister of NBA star charged in deadly robbery

sister of NBA star charged in deadly robbery

The sister to NBA star Kawhi Leonard has been charged in connection with an assault at a Southern California casino that left an 84-year-old woman dead, according to reports.

According to a release from the Riverside County Sheriff's Department, deputies were called out to the Pechanga Casino in Temecula, California on Aug. 31 after receiving a report of an adult female who was found unconscious in a bathroom. Deputies arrived to find Afaf Anis Assad, 84, of Long Beach, who investigators determined "may have been the victim of an assault."

Assad was taken to a local hospital near the casino where she later died from her injuries, the sheriff's department said in the release.

Investigators determined that Kimesha Monae Williams, 35, and Candace Townsel, 39, were involved in Assad's death, and were arrested and charged with robbery and murder, the department said.

One of the suspects, Kimesha Williams, was identified as the sister to Los Angeles Clippers player, Kawhi Leonard, Williams' aunt told the Riverside Press-Enterprise on Saturday that Williams and Leonard are siblings. The 28-year-old basketball star is a two-time Most Valuable Player of the NBA finals and was considered a top free-agent in the off-season before he signed a three-year deal with the Clippers in July worth $103 million.

A spokesperson for the Riverside County District Attorney's Office would not confirm their relationship, but said that Williams and the other suspect, Candace Townsel, had been charged with murder with special circumstances that would make them eligible for the death penalty.

Deputies say Williams and Townsel followed Assad into the bathroom at Pechanga where the pair allegedly beat the woman, and stole her purse, which contained between $800 and $1200. Detectives say they obtained leads that pointed them to the pair as being the alleged assailants, and both were taken into custody.

Both suspects are being held without bail.